Establish your work. Inspire others. Shape the future of ideas.
Discourse Initiative & Related Funding
Your work has profound implications for the direction of our society. As a professor, you can look to IHS for academic funding and career resources as you contribute to the classical liberal intellectual tradition.
Whether you are seeking support on a research project or want to inspire your students to consider the ideas that have shaped our society, we can partner with you to advance robust intellectual inquiry in your discipline, on your campus, and in the broader culture.
As part of its Discourse Initiative, IHS is particularly interested in offering funding support for research and program support in the following general categories:
- Liberalism and Its Critics, including engagement with and response to critiques from both ends of the ideological spectrum.
- Key Challenges within a Free Society, such as tensions between liberty and equality, dynamism and disruption, and freedom of speech and social cohesion.
- Cultural Challenges within Liberal Society, such as protections for minority rights, the pace of change in an increasingly digital and globalized world, and the cultural requirements of a tolerant and pluralistic society.
- Contentious Topics within the Liberal Tradition, including negative vs. positive rights, moral obligations within the liberal order, and contested meanings of liberal principles such as justice, equality, and democracy.
- Liberalism in Times of Crisis, including the proper role of government in a crisis and how to balance competing goals, such as public health and safety, with civil liberties, the rule of law, and economic freedom in an emergency.
IHS welcomes applications and proposals on these or other related topics from scholars in all disciplines, including economics, history, political science, philosophy, PPE, law, literature, business, sociology, psychology, and the visual and performing arts. Scholars can visit the pages listed above for more information and to apply directly to their program(s) of interest.
Email us at Discourse@TheIHS.org to learn more or explore potential opportunities for collaboration.
Discourse Initiative Research Grants
IHS offers faculty grants of $5,000-$25,000 to support major research projects that hold significant promise of advancing a deeper understanding of ideas within the liberal tradition.
Teaching and Research Resources
We partner with faculty to host extracurricular events exploring the ideas of a free and open society.
Take the Step from Faculty to Administration.
Download your copy of “Crossing to the Dark Side” by IHS President and CEO, Emily Chamlee-Wright and Richard A. Wueste from Colorado Consulting Associates. “Crossing to the Dark Side” is a primer for the reluctant academic leader.
If you are interested in having career and funding opportunities delivered to your inbox. Please fill out the form below.