IHS attends over 20 conferences a year, representing five academic disciplines.
Conferences are a great place to catch up with IHS staff or participate in an IHS event. These often include receptions, academic research seminars, career development workshops, mock interviews, and more.
IHS also offers financial support to help you get to conferences through our Hayek Fund for Scholars, which can help cover the cost of travel or other career-related expenses.
IHS offers support to scholars organizing Conference Panels. In addition to logistical support, IHS may cover travel costs and registration fees.
As part of its Discourse Initiative, IHS is particularly interested in conference panels in the following general categories:
- Liberalism and Its Critics, including engagement with and response to critiques from both ends of the ideological spectrum.
- Key Challenges within a Free Society, such as tensions between liberty and equality, dynamism and disruption, and freedom of speech and social cohesion.
- Cultural Challenges within Liberal Society, such as protections for minority rights, the pace of change in an increasingly digital and globalized world, and the cultural requirements of a tolerant and pluralistic society.
- Contentious Topics within the Liberal Tradition, including negative vs. positive rights, moral obligations within the liberal order, and contested meanings of liberal principles such as justice, equality, and democracy.
- Liberalism in Times of Crisis, including the proper role of government in a crisis and how to balance competing goals, such as public health and safety, with civil liberties, the rule of law, and economic freedom in an emergency.
IHS welcomes applications and proposals on these or other related topics from scholars in all disciplines, including economics, history, political science, philosophy, PPE, law, literature, business, sociology, psychology, and the visual and performing arts. Scholars can visit the pages listed above for more information and to apply directly to their program(s) of interest.
Apply below or to learn more about how IHS can help support your conference panel, please contact IHS.Conferences@TheIHS.org.
We encourage you to sign up for updates on upcoming conferences or contact us to learn more about what we’ll be doing and where you can find us.